Register for Classroom Register for Virtual Course Bring On-Site
Critical Success Factors for an Electronic Healthcare Record System Implementation
For Medical Practices and Ambulatory Centers - Apply proven project management and ROI assessment tools to select and implement the best EHR system for your requirements
This course will teach you how to:
- Understand The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, plus Federal & State technology initiatives that will affect your organization.
- Prevent mistakes and pitfalls that others make in the selection, management and implementation of an EHR system.
- Evaluate necessary workflow changes prior to EHR implementation.
- Develop implementation and user teams that represent all stakeholders to establish complete and attainable project requirements.
- Understand EHR IT security and liability issues that may threaten patient confidentiality and HIPAA compliance.
Explore various assessment and analysis tools to identify your readiness for an EHR system.
There are numerous pre-implementation considerations that must be addressed prior to the evaluation and selection of an EHR system. This workshop provides participants with critical thinking and analysis tools to determine staff and provider readiness. You will be given tools to develop cost/benefit and return on investment (ROI) projections based on the purchase, implementation and maintenance of an EHR system. We will look at third party interface and connectivity issues and provide participants with tools to identify potential areas of concern that must be addressed prior to any implementation.
This workshop provides participants with the analysis and assessment templates necessary to select from more than 400 EHR vendors to determine the system that best fits the present needs and future growth of your organization. Group discussions will identify common contracting pitfalls and how to avoid vendor loopholes that will cost you time and money.
Immediate Benefits of Participating In This Workshop
- Utilize Recovery Act funding to support your EHR project.
- Learn how to evaluate and select from a multitude of EHR systems on the market today in a vendor neutral setting.
- Understand the characteristics of a complete EHR system and how they affect workflow and day-to-day business processes.
- See how EHR systems have improved profitability, lowered costs and improved patient care in actual case studies.
- Examine statistical data on actual EHR project success/failure factors.
- Learn how to create a user-based, practice-wide implementation team that meets or exceeds the expectations and needs of stakeholders.
- Effectively analyze business processes prior to implementation to best determine hardware and staffing needs.
- Identify project management best practices as well as SDLC and Six Sigma specifications.
- Minimize the risks and pitfalls others have made in the selection, implementation and roll out of a practice EHR system.
- Understand the importance of continual executive/provider involvement and communication throughout the EHR implementation process.
- Minimize your practice’s risks by identifying weaknesses in IT security and medical data intrusion.
I. EHR Overview
This section presents an overview of current statistical data related to electronic health records. We will identify critical success factors that are essential for a well planned, organized EHR rollout that meets practice/hospital clinical and business goals and objectives.
A. Benefits of a practice-wide EHR system
B. Facts and figures about EHR project success & failure
C. Critical success factors
D. Obtaining provider and staff buy-in
II. Federal & State Health Information Technology (HIT) Initiatives
We will focus on federal and state components of HIT which includes the national health information infrastructure, interconnectivity, interoperable standards, provider adoption of technology and electronic health/medical records.
A. Current and evolving HIT initiatives
B. Meaningful Use Guidelines
C. Regional Health Information Organizations (RHIOs)
III. Pre-Implementation Considerations
Converting a practice over to an electronic healthcare record system is an expensive and very complex process. During this section we will discuss implementation, training and ongoing maintenance costs as well as interoperability challenges with legacy systems.
A. Provider and staff computer skills evaluation
B. Third party interface issues
C. Paper chart and data conversion considerations
IV. Implementation Considerations
Establishing clear and concise project requirements with realistic time parameters and sufficient resources dedicated to the project will help insure a successful implementation. This section focuses on project management best practices currently used in many industries.
A. Identifying practice EHR goals and objectives (clinical & business)
B. Building a successful implementation team
V. IT Security & Liability Issues
Maintaining a secure environment for all medical data whether in paper or digital format is essential. In this section we will review several case studies of medical data breaches.
A. Identifying practice vulnerability
B. Establishing paper and digital security measures
C. Wireless capabilities and HIPAA
D. Steps to avoiding employee misuse of data
Who Should Attend This Course
This workshop should be valuable to all those concerned with electronic health records. These include:
- Healthcare Practice Administrators
- HIS Managers & Business Analysts
- Healthcare Project Managers
- Practice IT Managers
- Physician Champions
- Clinical Directors
- Business Office Managers
- IPA Directors